Welcome to

liliana.es/pinosa

I am a graphic designer.

Do you have a project in mind?
Tell me about it!
I would love to help you.

Bestiario Sushi is a restaurant located in Aguascalientes, Mexico.

I have been part of the project (as a corporate indentity consultant) since 2013, when I suggested the name "Bestiario Sushi". Currently, I am in charge of designing and posting weekly social network advertising for the restaurant and I have been responsible for all the corporate design indentity of the client, including the menus, uniforms and promotional material.

I thought of the name because in the cooking process you are mixing vegetables, animals and spices and it is almost like you are making new "creatures" ("bestiarios" in Spanish). Besides the name, it has great opportunity for creating interesting graphics which you can see in the samples below.

This blog post shows the creative process I went through with the client when coming up with the logo and at the end shows some examples of how the logo is used in day to day marketing.

 

It was clear that the logo would be largely typographic, simple and clear, as a stamp that accompanies the illustrations and photographs in advertising and identity elements, uniforms, menu, etc. 

 


 

The restaurant is located in a beautifully restored building from the 1950s and at first I thought the logo could have a vintage style to tie in with the building. I made the first proposals and variations of typefaces reminiscent of woodcut engravings.

 


 

I also played with more organic and vintage style typography.

 

 


 

Then I played with a bold sans serif typeface and added a few animal elements. 

 

 


 

I also experienced by mixing the individual letters, creating minimal shapes representing animals or creatures.

 

 


 

By using the same typeface I concluded that the most important aspect was the readability, and that the time to play with the "beasts and creatures" would be in the illustrations.

I opted not to use extra items in the typography but to simply modify a few characters, subtly showing that something "drifferent" is happening with the name.

I mirrored the S horizontally, which since a young girl always has reminded me of a snake or an eel, and vertically mirrored the A, which could be a simplified figure of a cow's head or the head of a fish. 

 

 


 

Since the start of the design process I had thought the logo should be like a stamp, so I inverted the letters on a black background and finally the stamp became a "flag" that always accompanies advertising upper left side.

 


 

 


 

Logo applied to some example posters and flyers. 

 

 

 

 

See more of this project.